Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Back to Boney Bluff!

Sunday, a crew of us assembled and made the long hike back to Boney Bluff. Maya, Steve Gaspar, Monica Arone and I met up with Christina Pilo and Brett Gottdener to round out the group. After the 3+ mile approach and a quick rest, we got to enjoying the pocketed intricacies of Santa Monica Mountains breccia.

Steve Gaspar on one of the 5.10 warm-ups
Brett Gottdener on the cliff's other 5.10.
We then popped around the corner for some of the crags steeper goods.

Christina Pilo warming up on "Joyride" (5.11b)

A thick marine layer, which we had to drive through on the way up and down from the mountains, kept rolling in and out of the hills all day.
Christina went for a run up the highly recommended Piledriver (12b) and Brett managed to flash the line!
Christina Pilo gunning for it on "Piledriver" (5.12b) instargram photo: Maya Bartur
 After a sufficient warm-up, I decided to move one line of bolts to the left of the climb I sent last week, Skinny White Boy, to try the bouldery and beta-intensive Filth Pig (13b).

Clipping the first bolt of "Filth Pig" photo: Monica Arone

Although I wasn't able to send, or even really give it a good redpoint burn because it took me a while and a couple goes to figure out the sequences, I'm psyched on the line and look forward to getting back to it in the near future.
Clipping the second bolt of "Filth Pig." photo: Maya Bartur

Working out the beta on "Filth Pig." photo: Monica Arone

I was eventually able to convince Brett and Christina to try Skinny White Boy. When Christina ran into a crux, she decided to swing instead.

Hangdogging/swinging party photo: Maya Bartur
Pulling on small pockets on "Filth Pig." photo: Monica Arone
Another shot of me not sending, but working beta on "Filth Pig." instagram photo: Maya Bartur
As the sun sunk low in the sky, we gathered our belongings and hurried to get back to the cars before dark, but not before the obligatory group photo.

Brett, Christina, Steve, Monica, Maya, and me. What a crew!

Check out how that marine layer has filled that high valley.
We weren't quite able to make it all the way to the trailhead before dark, but headlamps sufficed to navigate our way along the last quarter of the hike out.

I can't wait to get back to Boney, not to mention Black Mountain, now that the snow is melting; however, I won't be able to visit either for at least two weeks, because I leave Thursday night for Japan to visit my brother! If I'm lucky, maybe I can fit some climbing in while I'm there. Stay psyched folks, and see you out there!

2 comments: